Concert & Events FAQs
All guests who appear to be forty (40) years of age or younger will be required to show positive and current proof of age prior to being served alcoholic beverages. Acceptable forms of Identification include State Issued Driver's Licenses, State Issued I.D. Cards, or United States Military I.D. Cards. No paper forms of ID are accepted. Alcohol service may be discontinued at any time at the discretion of Management.
There are a few shows at the Surf that require ticketholders to be 21 years of age or older. If the show does have an age restriction, it is listed prominently in the show's description. For ALL shows, those ages 16 or younger must be accompanied by an adult to enter. If ever in question, contact the Box Office at 641.357.6151.
The Surf Ballroom and our security team work hard to promote responsible consumption of alcoholic beverages. Our alcohol policies are listed below:
- All guests purchasing alcohol who appear to be less than 40 years old must present a valid ID (see acceptable forms of identification above). Wristbands are available-the same forms of ID are required to obtain a 21+ wristband.
- No alcohol will be sold to guests who appear to be intoxicated.
- Management reserves the right to cut off alcohol sales at its discretion.
- Guests passing alcohol to minors will be ejected and subject to arrest.
- Guests possessing alcohol, who do not have proof of positive ID showing proof of age, may be ejected.
- Guests who are under the age of 21 caught consuming alcohol will be ejected and subject to arrest.
- Bar staff has the right to refuse the sale of alcohol to any guest(s).
- All guests must finish and dispose of open alcoholic beverages before exiting the venue.
There is not an ATM located in the premises, however credit/debit cards may be used to purchase concert or drink tickets.
In an effort to increase security, reduce staff touchpoints and expedite entry wait times for concertgoers, effective May 1, 2023 the Surf Ballroom has implemented a clear bag policy. Medical and diaper bags are permitted and subject to search by security staff. Fans are encouraged to travel light and leave any non-essential and prohibited items at home or in their vehicle as an item check is not available. All bags are searched upon entry.
Guests may carry into the Surf one of the following styles/sizes of bags:
• Clear tote (plastic/vinyl/PVC) that does not exceed 12" x 6" x 12" or a plastic storage bag that is a maximum one gallon, resealable and clear.
• Small bags, such as a clutch purse or belt bag, that are approximately the size of a hand with or without a handle/strap are allowed, but not to exceed 5"x8".• Guests with bags not meeting specifications will be asked to return them to their vehicles.
For most events, non-professional (point and shoot cameras)/non-flash photography is permissible. Any camera featuring the use of a detachable lens must be accompanied by a day of show media pass. Audio and video recording is prohibited. This policy is subject to change on an event-by-event basis. Please call the Box Office at 641.357.6151 with any specific event camera policy inquiries.
In the rare event that a concert/event is cancelled, a refund will be issued using the method of payment used to initially purchase the ticket(s). To receive a refund, ticketholders must return their tickets to the box office by the deadline set by Management.
Unless a tour has a specific age policy, all children require a ticket to enter. Any variances to this rule will be listed prominently in the show's description.
Our ticketing system does not currently support the use of electronic tickets. During your purchase, you have the option to have your tickets mailed for an additional $3 or to hold them here at our office (will call). You will need a photo I.D. to pick them up. We do match the name on the I.D. to the name on the envelope; if you are having someone else pick up your tickets for you, please give the office a call to add that name to the envelope.
You may buy drink tickets during concerts or in advance. The drink tickets you purchase are valid for any show.
Our bar(s) carry a wide variety of beverages (soda, water, beer/malt beverages, wine and liquor) available for purchase during concerts and events. Additionally, the Legacy Grill provides food delivery from their late night menu to most concerts (please contact the restaurant at (641) 357-0619 to verify as there are instances when food delivery is unavailable). Any other outside food/beverages are not allowed during ticketed events. Popcorn is also available for purchase during most concerts and events.
The Surf Ballroom takes the safety and security of our guests very seriously. All patrons will pass through a security checkpoint upon entry to the building where hand held metal detectors are used. At this point, any prohibited items will need to be taken back to vehicles or these items will be discarded. We do not offer an item check for prohibited items. Additionally, all handbags are subject to search. To expedite the entry process, we ask guests to travel light and leave bags and purses at home, if possible. Please note that upon the Artists discretion, the list of prohibited items may vary! The below list of prohibited items are prohibited at all Surf Ballroom events, unless otherwise noted at the point of entry:
- Knives/weapons of any kind
- Illegal drugs
- Cameras with detachable lenses (without day of show photo pass)
- Audio or video recording devices (without day of show photo pass)
- Outside food or beverage of any kind
- Hard-sided containers, including cans, bottles, thermoses or flasks
- Laser pointers/pens
- Monopods/selfie sticks or similar devices
- Other items as deemed inappropriate by venue staff/artist management
Once purchased and in the possession of the buyer, it is the purchasers responsibility to safeguard their ticket(s). Tickets that are lost, stolen or destroyed will not be replaced or refunded.
Lost items found and turned in during an event can be located at the Box Office. Items are held for 30 days, then disposed of if not claimed by their rightful owner at that time.
The Surf Ballroom has a "No Re-Entry Policy". This means that guests may not exit the venue during an event and then re-enter at a later time.
The Surf Ballroom was built in 1948 and features a large dance floor in front of the stage, with a tiered booth seating area that surrounds the dance floor on two sides. For most events, tickets are general admission and unless otherwise noted, the dance floor is open for dancing/standing/viewing the show. Booth upgrades are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Each booth upgrade purchased represents the entire booth, and purchasing a booth upgrade will not grant you admission to the event. Due to fire code, it is not permissible to bring your own folding chair in to view a concert at the Surf. There is some first-come, first-served seating in the lounge area.
Due to fire code, it is not permissible to bring your own folding chair in to view a concert at the Surf. There are booths which you may reserve prior to the show as well as some first-come, first-served seating in the lounge area.
The Surf Ballroom is a 100% Smoke-Free building. Smoking, including the use of e-cigarettes, electronic smoking and vaping devices are prohibited.
The Surf Ballroom does not permit unauthorized soliciting or collecting of contributions, vending, distribution of flyers or other promotional/advertising materials on the premises (including the parking lot), unless approved in advance by management.
All ticket purchases are NON-REFUNDABLE and, in most cases, are not exchangeable for other events/concerts.
Tickets typically go on sale for the Winter Dance Party in late fall, continue checking the website for updates for ticket information.