2012 Winter Dance Party Music Video Contest
The Surf Ballroom & Museum is pleased to present the 2nd annual "Winter Dance Party" music video contest. We are challenging students of any age to create and produce videos or a presentation about the Surf Ballroom, the Winter Dance Party and/or the origins of rock and roll!
2012 Winter Dance Party Music Video Contest Submission Guidelines
Simply download a Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, or J.P "The Big Bopper" Richardson song from a licensed on-line provider (such as iTunes), then shoot and edit an original music video for a chance to win a Fender Sunburst Electric Guitar and amp (1st prize), $50 iTunes Card (2nd prize) or Surf Ballroom Gift Basket (3rd prize).
Qualifying videos will be linked to the Surf Ballroom website and available for on-line viewing. The top 3 music videos will be chosen by the Surf Ballroom Advisory Committee. Winning videos will be featured during the Wednesday night Sock Hop on February 1st.
Acceptable File Formats
Windows Media Video (.wmv)
.3 GP (cell phones)
.FLV (adobe flash)
***Please note that video quality will not be as much of a criteria as subject matter.
Length of Footage
Videos should not exceed the length of any selected Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens or J.P "The Big Bopper" Richardson song. In addition, final footage should be one gigabyte (GB) or less.
Videos should be sent via CD-ROM, DVD (burned in an acceptable format) or USB flash drive and mailed to: Surf Ballroom, 460 North Shore Drive, Clear Lake IA 50428. If you need your media retured, please include a self addressed envelope for its return.
The contest begins November 21, 2011, with a deadline to submit a video by Friday, January 20, 2012 at 4:00 p.m. Questions may be directed to: Nicki Barragy, Education Coordinator at 641.357.6151 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hints & Tips
- Be creative, original, entertaining, and unique!
- Judges will be looking for fun interaction of kids singing, acting, and utilizing images or video of the Surf Ballroom, the Winter Dance Party event or Rock 'n Roll history.
- Keep it clean, legal and only use original royalty free video and images. Be sure you have permission to use any music, video or animation that appears in your video.
- Video must be viewable by all audiences and have a "G" rating.
- Only one submission per student will be allowed.
- Several "How-To" videos are availabe for viewing on on-line search engines. Simply enter "How to shoot a music video" for listings.